This section describes the installation process for different distributions. If there are pre-made packages from ownCloud, you are encouraged to prefer those over the vendor-provided ones, since they usually are more up-to-date.
ready-to-use SLES and openSUSE RPM packages are available in the openSUSE Build Service ownCloud repository.
- Copy ownCloud to Apache’s server directory : /srv/www/htdocs
- Give the web server the necessary permissions:
sudo chown -R wwwrun owncloud
- Open the folder in a browser and complete the setup wizard
If have followed the steps above and want to try it out, run this command in a terminal to start Apache if it’s not already running:
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start
Go to http://servername/owncloud and walk through the setup.
ready-to-use RPM packages are available in the openSUSE Build Service ownCloud repository.
Make sure SELinux is disabled or else the installation process will fail with the following message:
Config file (config/config.php) is not writable for the webserver
- If you already have a website running from Document Root but would still like to install OwnCloud you can use a Name-based virtual host entry and subdomain.
- Edit your DNS record following this example: point owncloud.foo.com > ip.ip.ip.ip
CentOS 5 & 6¶
ready-to-use CentOS RPM packages are available in the openSUSE Build Service ownCloud repository.
- Create a new file in /etc/httpd/conf/ and call it owncloud.conf.
- You can use the following as an example:
<IfModule mod_alias.c> Alias /owncloud /var/www/owncloud/ </IfModule> <Directory /var/www/owncloud/> Options None Order allow,deny allow from all </Directory> <VirtualHost *:80> ServerAdmin firstname.lastname@example.org DocumentRoot /var/www/html/owncloud ServerName owncloud.foo.com ErrorLog logs/owncloud.foo.info-error_log CustomLog logs/owncloud.foo.info-access_log common </VirtualHost>
- Now edit your httpd.conf file which is usually located in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
- Add the following to the bottom
Set up a standard web server (see instructions above). Then change permissions:
chown -R apache:apache owncloud
Allow .htaccess, modify /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/00_default_vhost.conf and make sure it contains the following section
<Directory /var/www/localhost/htdocs/owncloud> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews AllowOverride All Order allow,deny allow from all </Directory>