How to Contribute to the ownCloud Documentation¶
You are encouraged to contribute to the ownCloud documentation by reporting errors, adding new material, and writing tips and tricks. You must have a Github account.
Sharing tips and tricks is the easiest way to contribute, because these go in the ownCloud Documentation Wiki. You can create and edit docs directly in the Wiki. The subject matter is wide open: admin, user, mobile apps, LAMP stack, development hints, installing ownCloud on diverse hardware such as Raspberry Pi or giant clusters– anything that is correct and useful.
If you wish to contribute to the official Admin, User, or Desktop Client and Mobile Apps manuals, that is a more complex process because you must fork or branch the official repos, write your material, and create a pull request. The manuals are written using Sphinx and RST markup.
- The Admin and User manuals are in the owncloud/documentation repository on Github. Read the README.rst on the front page of the repo for instructions on setting up your build enviroment.
- The documentation for the desktop sync client is in the doc directory of the Desktop client repo. See the README.md for instructions.
- The documentation of the Android app is in the user_manual directory of the Android App repo. See the README.md for instructions.
- The documentation of the iOS app is in the user_manual directory of the iOS App repo. See the README.md for instructions.
Reporting Documentation Errors¶
If you find errors or omissions in the Admin, User, or Desktop Client and Mobile Apps manuals, we encourage you to report them. (The Developer manual has its own system and requirements; please consult the Developer manual for details.)
Please follow this template when reporting documentation errors:
- First search the appropriate Github repository to see if your issue has already been reported
- If it has not, open an Issue in the appropriate Github repository
- Provide the URL to the manual page and section. There are multiple release versions of most of the manuals, so please mention exactly which one you are reporting, and if it is the HTML or PDF version
- Quote the specific error
- Provide the correct solution, if you know it, and links to supporting references. If you don’t know the answer that is OK.
- Provide screenshots if they add useful information
- Provide your Web browser version and operating system & version
Reporting Documentation Suggestions¶
If you don’t have a specific problem or contribution, but wish to offer a suggestion, open an Issue in the appropriate repository.