Memory requirements for running an ownCloud server are greatly variable, depending on the numbers of users and files, and volume of server activity. ownCloud needs a minimum of 128MB RAM, and we recommend a minimum of 512MB.
Recommended Setup for Running ownCloud¶
For best performance, stability, support, and full functionality we recommend:
- Operating system: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
- Web server: Apache 2.4.
- Database: MySQL/MariaDB with InnoDB storage engine (MyISAM is not supported, see: : ref:db-storage-engine-label)
- PHP 7.
- Server: Linux (Debian 7 and 8, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 and 12 SP1, Red Hat Enterprise Linux/Centos 6.5 and 7 (7 is 64-bit only), Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, 16.04 LTS)
- Web server: Apache 2.4 with mod_php
- Databases: MySQL/MariaDB 5.5+; Oracle 11g (ownCloud Enterprise edition only); PostgreSQL
- PHP 5.4 + required
- Hypervisors: Hyper-V, VMware ESX, Xen, KVM
- Desktop: Windows 7+, Mac OS X 10.7+ (64-bit only), Linux (CentOS 6.5, 7 (7 is 64-bit only), Ubuntu 12.04+, Fedora 20+, openSUSE 12.3+, Debian 7 & 8).
- Mobile apps: iOS 7+, Android 4+
- Web browser: IE11+ (except Compatibility Mode), Firefox 14+, Chrome 18+, Safari 5+
See Manual Installation on Linux for minimum software versions for installing ownCloud.
Database Requirements for MySQL / MariaDB¶
The following is currently required if you’re running ownCloud together with a MySQL / MariaDB database: